The two-volume A Companion to Sparta
presents the first comprehensive, multi-authored series of essays to address all aspects of Spartan history and society from its origins in the Greek Dark Ages to the late Roman Empire.
- Offers a lucid, comprehensive introduction to all aspects of Sparta, a community recognised by contemporary cities as the greatest power in classical Greece
- Features in-depth coverage of Sparta history and culture contributed by an international cast including almost every noted specialist and scholar in the field
- Provides over a dozen images of Spartan art that reveal the evolution of everyday life in Sparta
- Sheds new light on a modern controversy relating to changes in Spartan society from the Archaic to Classical periods
Wiley; October 2017
- ISBN 9781119072386
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure EPUB format
- Title: A Companion to Sparta
- Author: Anton Powell (ed.)
About The Author
Anton Powell is Director of the Classical Press of Wales, and an internationally recognized authority on Sparta, Athens, and the Roman Revolution. He founded the International Sparta Seminar, and co-edited a succession of collective volumes which have contributed to the revival and reshaping of Spartan studies. Powell is the author of Athens and Sparta, Third Edition, and editor of Classical Sparta, Sparta at War, and Sparta: The Body Politic, among others.