Transformative Learning Through Engagement

Student Affairs Practice as Experiential Pedagogy

Transformative Learning Through Engagement by James E. Zull
"This book examines the important role student affairs professionals can and should play in teaching and learning. As colleges and universities adapt to the new realitites of higher education (including new understandings about how people learn), student affairs professionals can provide experiential learning opportunities that help students cross inter- and intrapersonal borders. With discussions of dominant paradigms and cultures within US contexts and examples of a range of campus applications, the book provides a framework for thinking about student affairs as key to college learning, particularly in areas related to diversity. It is a useful tool for student affairs professionals working to contribute to the educational missions of the twenty-first century."?Diversity & Democracy

“Anyone who selects education as a career will find this book both illuminating and affirming. Examples of the roles student affairs can play in helping to structure integrated learning and Jane Fried’s practical and in-depth explanation of how learning occurs make this book an excellent primer for new professionals and an essential reference book for all others. Teaching from the perspective of what one learns from this book, especially about diversity and citizenship, will help educators eliminate the one question that every student has asked at some time: 'Why do I have to take this course?' This book is a winner!"?Gwen Dungy, Executive Director, NASPA
Stylus Publishing; July 2012
Title: Transformative Learning Through Engagement
Author: James E. Zull; Jane Fried