Critical Literacy

Context, Research, and Practice in the K-12 Classroom

Critical Literacy by Lisa Patel Stevens

"This is an excellent text. I particularly liked how the authors share examples of critical literacy throughout the book, especially with digital and multimedia texts."

—Peter McDermott, The Sage Colleges

"Through realistic discussion of how text shapes us and is shaped by us, Critical Literacy provides pre- and in-service teachers with concrete ways to engage in critical literacy practices with children from elementary through high school."

—Cheryl A. Kreutter, St. John Fisher College

…a unique, practical critical literacy text with concrete examples and theoretical tools for pre- and in-service teachers

Authors Lisa Patel Stevens and Thomas W. Bean explore the historical and political foundations of critical literacy and present a comprehensive examination of its uses for K-12 classroom practice.

Key Features:

· Focuses on the nexus of critical literacy theory and practice through real classroom examples, vignettes, and conversations among teachers and teacher educators

· Illustrates how critical literacy practices are enacted in the classroom at the elementary, middle, and high school levels.

· Offers step-by-step teaching strategies for implementing critical literacy in K-12 classrooms at different paces, depending on existing curriculum

Intended Audience:

This is an excellent supplemental text for a variety of advanced undergraduate and graduate courses in education departments on how to teach reading and writing. This text will also appeal to instructors and students exploring issues of representation, linguistics, and critical deconstruction.

SAGE Publications; January 2007
Title: Critical Literacy
Author: Lisa Patel Stevens; Thomas W. Bean