Teacher Action Research

Building Knowledge Democracies

Teacher Action Research by Gerald J. Pine

"This is a wonderful book with deep insight into the relationship between teachers' action and result of student learning. It discusses from different angles impact of action research on student learning in the classroom. Writing samples provided at the back are wonderful examples." —Kejing Liu, Shawnee State University

Teacher Action Research: Building Knowledge Democracies
focuses on helping schools build knowledge democracies through a process of action research in which teachers, students, and parents collaborate in conducting participatory and caring inquiry in the classroom, school, and community. Author Gerald J. Pine examines historical origins, the rationale for practice-based research, related theoretical and philosophical perspectives, and action research as a paradigm rather than a method.

Key Features

• Discusses how to build a school research culture through collaborative teacher research
  • Delineates the role of the professional development school as a venue for constructing a knowledge democracy
  • Focuses on how teacher action research can empower the active and ongoing inclusion of nontraditional voices (those of students and parents) in the research process
  • Includes chapters addressing the concrete practices of observation, reflection, dialogue, writing, and the conduct of action research, as well as examples of teacher action research studies

SAGE Publications; October 2008
Title: Teacher Action Research
Author: Gerald J. Pine

1452245371
9781412964753
9781452245379
9781452278742