Qualitative Research Practice

A Guide for Social Science Students and Researchers

Qualitative Research Practice by Jane Ritchie
'An excellent introduction to the theoretical, methodological and practical issues of qualitative research... they deal with issues at all stages in a very direct, clear, systematic and practical manner and thus make the processes involved in qualitative research more transparent' - Nyhedsbrev

'This is a "how to" book on qualitative methods written by people who do qualitative research for a living.... It is likely to become the standard manual on all graduate and undergraduate courses on qualitative methods' - Professor Robert Walker, School of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Nottingham

What exactly is qualitative research? What are the processes involved and what can it deliver as a mode of inquiry?

Qualitative research is an exciting blend of scientific investigation and creative discovery. When properly executed, it can bring a unique understanding of people's lives which in turn can be used to deepen our understanding of society. It as a skilled craft used by practitioners and researchers in the 'real world'; this textbook illuminates the possibilities of qualitative research and presents a sequential overview of the process written by those active in the field.

Qualitative Research Practice:

- Leads the student or researcher through the entire process of qualitative research from beginning to end - moving through design, sampling, data collection, analysis and reporting.

- Is written by practising researchers with extensive experience of conducting qualitative research in the arena of social and public policy - contains numerous case studies.

- Contains plenty of pedagogical material including chapter summaries, explanation of key concepts, reflective points for seminar discussion and further reading in each chapter

- Is structured and applicable for all courses in qualitative research, irrespective of field.

Drawn heavily on courses run by the Qualitative Unit at the National Centre for Social Research, this textbook should be recommended reading for students new to qualitative research across the social sciences.

SAGE Publications; February 2003
Title: Qualitative Research Practice
Author: Jane Ritchie; Jane Lewis

9780761971108
9781446205488
9781446235843