Best-selling author Shirley Clarke provides a wealth of high quality ideas, practical strategies, classroom examples and whole-school case studies for teachers in primary and secondary schools.
The most comprehensive of Shirley Clarke's titles includes extensive examples and realia, in full colour. The book is clearly structured around the ways in which teachers actually teach, with QR coded web video clips to illustrate key points in action.
- Helps teachers create an environment for pupils to be active learners, constant reviewers and self-assessors
- Ensures teachers start and finish lessons effectively by initially establishing their prior knowledge and capturing their interest and finally encouraging pupil reflection to find out what has been learnt and what still needs to be developed
- Develops learning by helping children articulate their understanding and focusing on constant review and improvement
- Focuses on whole-school development including lesson study, assessment policies and stories from outstanding schools
1. Laying the foundations
2. Effective starts to lessons
3. Developing the learning
4. Effective ends to lessons
5. Whole school development
Shirley Clarke is a foremost expert on formative assessment and much in demand as an education consultant, in the UK and internationally. An experienced primary teacher and advisory teacher, and a popular speaker, she runs numerous local and regional training courses on classroom assessment. Her courses and training days for teachers, and ongoing involvement in action research, give her a down-to-earth perspective on day-to-day classroom realities, which is reflected in her hugely popular books.