This eBook is no longer available for sale.
Get your training off to a great start—from basic footwork and throws to training and demonstrations—this book is a perfect introduction to aikido for beginners. It's everything you need to get started in aikido!
Are you ready to learn aikido, but don't know where to begin? Are you intimidated by the unfamiliar terms or the powerful aikido techniques? With Aikido Basics
you'll become an expert in this Japanese martial art in no time!
Whether you are considering taking up this martial art, or you've already started, this Aikido book offers an easy, yet comprehensive introduction to everything you need to know to feel confident and be successful.
You'll learn about:
- The origins of aikido—philosophy, history and different styles
- What really happens in an aikido class—invaluable tips on choosing the right school, getting ready for your first class, and basic training methods
- The essential elements—stances, strikes, grabs, throws, and pins
- How to complement your aikido training—ki exercises, multiple-person training, and freestyle exercises
- Effective ways to succeed in aikido—create a training program, test for belt promotion, and participate in competitions and tournaments
- Resources—help further develop your aikido training
Tuttle Publishing; December 2011
- ISBN: 9781462902828
- Read online
- Title: Aikido Basics
- Author: Phong Thong Dang; Lynn Seiser
Imprint: Tuttle Publishing
About The Author
Phong Thong Dang holds a sixth degree black belt in Aikido, a sixth degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, a fifth degree black belt in Judo, and an eighth degree black belt in Vietnamese Shaolin Kung Fu. The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame inducted Phong twice: once for his expertise in Aikido and again for his lifelong dedication to the martial arts. He has been featured in Karate Illustrated, Aikido Journal, Aikido Today magazine, Martial Arts and Combat Sports, and Black Belt. He has been in the martial arts for over fifty years and currently teaches in southern California.
Lynn Seiser is an internationally respected psychotherapist, consultant, and trainer. Seiser has over three decades of martial arts training and experience. He currently holds the rank of Sandan (third degree black belt) in Tenshinkai Aikido under Sensei Dang Thong Phong .