This book considers how exposure to toxic mixtures affects the different physiological systems and organs, including the respiratory, cardiovascular, immunological, musculoskeletal, nervous and reproductive systems, as well as the various organs, including the kidneys, liver and skin.
The author evaluates various sources of exposure, including air, water, and soil pollution; in utero exposure; chemicals contained in foods, cosmetics, and domestic cleaning products; adhesives and paints; industrial chemicals; pesticides; electromagnetic radiation; and chemicals ingested or inhaled during the use of alcohol, tobacco and narcotics.
The book also examines the interplay between exposure to these mixtures and the prevalence of various diseases and conditions, including autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), developmental neurotoxicology, multiple chemical sensitivity (MSC), chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), Gulf war syndrome, cancer and cancer clusters. The author also discusses how exposure to these mixtures yields the above diseases and conditions in different populations: fetuses, infants, pre-adolescent children, adolescents and adults.
Finally, the book addresses the profound policy implications for formulation, labeling and use of chemical products, and it proposes more stringent exposure limits and warning requirements in light of the newly recognized toxic effects that are directly attributable to the mixture of toxic lipophilic and hydrophilic chemicals.
* Addresses chemical mixtures, while most literature only deals with single chemicals exposure.
* Explains why certain toxicological effects are observed.
* Discusses diagnosis and treatment of injuries resulting from exposure.
* Explores consequences of effects on product formulation, use, handling and required warnings.
* Provides guidelines for safer development of personal care, cosmetic, industrial and consumer use products.
Elsevier Science; July 2008
- ISBN: 9780815519843
- Read online, or download in secure PDF format
- Title: Human Toxicology of Chemical Mixtures
- Author: Harold Zeliger
Imprint: William Andrew
In The Press
"An easy-to-read book that should be in any toxicologist's library. With an enormous effort of synthesis, the author has treated a wide variety of subjects in the emerging field of chemical mixtures." -- Arturo Ortego, M.D., School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Rovira I Virgili University, Reus, Spain