Valuation for Financial Reporting: Intangible Assets, Goodwill, and Impairment Analysis provides guidance and insight in the identification and measurement of intangible assets and goodwill pursuant to the Financial Accounting Standards Board Statements of Financial Accounting Standards (SFAS) No. 141, Business Combinations and (SFAS) No. 142 Goodwill and Other Intangible Assets.
The new rules are sweeping and complex. Valuation for Financial Reporting will bring clarity to CFOs, auditors, valuation professionals, and CPAs by explaining the valuation aspects of the new financial reporting requirements, including how to identify the characteristics of goodwill and intangible assets, determine if impairment has occurred, and employ specific methods to assess the financial impact of such impairment.
While numerous articles and commentaries on the subject have appeared dating back to the time the FASB began considering the issue, Valuation for Financial Reporting is the first to provide "real world" examples of the valuation techniques and methodologies required to perform a purchase price allocation under SFAS No. 141 and an impairment study under SFAS No. 142. Valuation for Financial Reporting will help lift the veil of mystery surrounding these two important pronouncements and provide a practical guide for their implementation.
* Shows the CPA and client how to apply the new SFAS 141 rules that pertain to all companies involved in an acquisition (buyer or seller) by analyzing and valuing the tangible and intangible assets acquired.
* Teaches the CPA and client how to apply the new SFAS 142 rules that pertain to all companies that recognize and measure intangible assets and goodwill which may now be impaired
* Presents detailed case studies and examples on how to apply and implement SFAS 141 and SFAS 142
* Provides a "How To" on the identification and measurement of intangible assets.
* Includes a checklist for controlling the gathering of data necessary for the analyses and another checklist guiding the work program for methodologies
* Offers guidance and examples for financial reporting purposes.
Wiley; November 2002
- ISBN: 9780471444312
- Edition: 1
- Read online, or download in secure PDF format
- Title: Valuation for Financial Reporting
- Author: Michael J. Mard; James R. Hitchner; Steven D. Hyden; Mark L. Zyla
About The Author
MICHAEL J. MARD, CPA/ABV, ASA, and STEVEN D. HYDEN, CPA, ASA, are with The Financial Valuation Group in Tampa, Florida.
JAMES R. HITCHNER, CPA/ABV, ASA, and MARK L. ZYLA, CPA/ABV, CFA, ASA, are with Phillips Hitchner in Atlanta, Georgia.
MARD and HITCHNER were ad hoc advisors to the Financial Accounting Standards Board in its deliberations concerning SFAS Nos. 141 and 142.
All of the authors are FCG-recognized specialists in valuation issues related to financial reporting of intangible assets and goodwill impairment.