Helpful advice for teaching Common Core Math Standards to middle-school students
The new Common Core State Standards for Mathematics have been formulated to provide students with instruction that will help them acquire a thorough knowledge of math at their grade level, which will in turn enable them to move on to higher mathematics with competence and confidence. Hands-on Activities for Teaching the Common Core Math Standards is designed to help teachers instruct their students so that they will better understand and apply the skills outlined in the Standards.
This important resource also gives teachers a wealth of tools and activities that can encourage students to think critically, use mathematical reasoning, and employ various problem-solving strategies.
- Filled with activities that will help students gain an understanding of math concepts and skills correlated to the Common Core State Math Standards
- Offers guidance for helping students apply their understanding of math concepts and skills, develop proficiency in calculations, and learn to think abstractly
- Describes ways to get students to collaborate with other students, utilize technology, communicate ideas about math both orally and in writing, and gain an appreciation of the significance of mathematics to real life
This practical and easy-to-use resource will help teachers give students the foundation they need for success in higher mathematics.
Wiley; March 2012
- ISBN: 9781118224120
- Edition: 1
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure ePub format
- Title: Teaching the Common Core Math Standards with Hands-On Activities, Grades 6-8
- Author: Judith A. Muschla; Gary Robert Muschla; Erin Muschla
About The Author
Judith A. Muschla has taught mathematics in South River, New Jersey, for over twenty-five years. She has been a member of the state Standards Review Panel for the Mathematics Core Curriculum Content Standards in New Jersey.
Gary Robert Muschla taught at Appleby School in Spotswood, New Jersey, for more than twenty-five years. Judith and Gary have coauthored several books, including The Algebra Teacher's Activities Kit, Hands-On Math Projects with Real Life Applications, The Math Teacher's Book of Lists, and Math Starters.
Erin Muschla teaches 8th grade math and algebra at Monroe Township Middle School in Monroe, New Jersey, and has collaborated with Judith and Gary on three previous math books.