Introduction to International Disaster Management, Third Edition, continues to serve as the leading comprehensive overview of global emergency management. This edition provides practitioners and students alike with a comprehensive understanding of the disaster management profession by utilizing a global perspective and including the different sources of risk and vulnerability, the systems that exist to manage hazard risk, and the many different stakeholders involved.
This update examines the impact of many recent large-scale and catastrophic disaster events on countries and communities, as well as their influence on disaster risk reduction efforts worldwide. It also expands coverage of small-island developing states (SIDS) and explores the achievements of the United Nations Hyogo Framework for Action (2005–2015) and the priorities for action in the Post-2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction currently under development. This useful, relevant text includes many changes that have occurred since the last edition for a better understanding of the rapidly advancing field of international disaster management.
- Includes updated perspectives on recent events that have shaped the direction emergency management is taking today
- Examines outcomes of the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA) decade, such as insight into how disaster risk reduction has advanced globally, and how it differs among countries and regions
- Updated statistics on disaster frequency and impact provide a better understanding about how and why risk and vulnerability are changing
- Presents information on multilateral emergency management agreements as well as profiles of important NGOs and international organizations
- Key terms and summaries are provided at the beginning of each chapter to ease student comprehension
- Offers customized and updated instructor materials, including PowerPoint lecture slides, test banks, and a detailed instructor's guide
"...manages to be both concise and sufficiently deep to be useful to the security practitioner who needs either a quick reference or a resource for more detail into the various subjects. Coppola’s approachable writing style is informative and balanced. This book belongs in your professional library." --Security Management
"...a whopper of a book for a whopper of a subject...it takes you through the hazards; the risks...and mitigation; then preparedness and response and recovery. " --