Music Education in Your Hands is a textbook for the introductory course in Music Education. Written for future classroom music teachers, the book provides an overview of the music education system , illuminating the many topics that music educators need to know, including technology, teaching methods, curricular evolution, legislation, and a range of societal needs from cultural diversity to evolving tastes in music. It encompasses a broad picture of the profession, and how the future of music education rests in the hands of today’s student teachers as they learn how to become advocates for music in our schools.
- A balance of sound historical foundations with recent research and thinking;
- Coursework that is appropriate in level and length for a one semester introductory course;
- Actual dialogue between undergraduate music education majors and teachers, illustrating pertinent issues teachers must face;
- An emphasis on opportunities in the greater community beyond the walls of the school that music teachers should be familiar with;
- Suggested topics for activities and critical thinking for every chapter;
- A companion web site including student and instructor resources
Taylor and Francis; November 2009
- ISBN: 9781135183912
- Edition: 1
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure ePub format
- Title: Music Education in Your Hands
- Author: Michael L. Mark; Patrice Madura
About The Author
Michael L. Mark is the author of several music education books in the area of music education history. He is retired from Towson University, where he was Dean of the Graduate School and professor of music. A member of the Music Educators Hall of Fame, he is a frequent speaker at universities and symposia.
Patrice Madura is a Professor of Music Education at the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, where she teaches freshmen through to doctoral students. She is the author of Becoming a Choral Music Teacher, and Getting Started with Vocal Improvisation, and of articles in Teaching Music in the Urban Classroom, Journal of Research in Music Education, Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education, International Journal of Music Education, and many more publications.