Greek: A History of the Language and its Speakers, Second Edition
reveals the trajectory of the Greek language from the Mycenaean period of the second millennium BC to the current day.
• Offers a complete linguistic treatment of the history of the Greek language
• Updated second edition features increased coverage of the ancient evidence, as well as the roots and development of diglossia
• Includes maps that clearly illustrate the distribution of ancient dialects and the geographical spread of Greek in the early Middle Ages
Wiley; December 2009
- ISBN: 9781444318920
- Edition: 2
- Read online, or download in secure PDF format
- Title: Greek
- Author: Geoffrey Horrocks
About The Author
Geoffrey Horrocks is Professor of Comparative Philology at the University of Cambridge, UK, and Fellow of St John's College. His previous books include Space and Time in Homer (1981), Generative Grammar (1987), Greek: A History of the Language and its Speakers (1997), and The Blackwell History of the Latin Language (with James Clackson, 2007).