“This is a fun and painless way to give yourself a firm grounding in the wide wonderful world of antiques and collectibles.”
Kyle Husfloen, Managing Editor, Antique Trader Weekly
and Antique Trader’s Antiques & Collectibles Price Guide
Do you love to poke around estate sales and antique shops, but can’t tell the difference between Queen Anne and Queen Victoria furniture? Do you dream of owning that old Oriental rug or Meissen figurine — but worry that the dealer might gouge you on the price? Do you own pieces you think might be valuable — but don’t know where to go for a reliable appraisal? Relax. Antiquing For Dummies answers all your antiquing questions—and more.
Whether you’re a beginner or you’ve already gotten your feet wet, this fun, friendly guide will give you the savvy you need to cruise, schmooze, bargain for, and care for antiques with confidence. In no time you’ll be able to:
- Tell the difference between real antiques and stuff that’s just old
- Develop an antique hunt plan of attack
- Select antiques based on the 5 key points of the “RADAR Test”
- Discover hidden treasures at garages, estate sales, auctions, and shops
- Get the best deals when buying and selling antiques
- Decorate with antique glass and porcelain from around the world
- Clean and care for your precious finds
- Work an auction—real-time and online
Writing with humor and common sense, Ron Zoglin and Deborah Shouse demystify the highfaluting terminology of the antique world. And step-by-step they walk you through all the antiquing essential, including:
- Different furniture styles and periods of furniture and how to distinguish them
- Dovetails, nails, and other construction elements that offer clues to a piece’s age
- Where to go for the best antique bargains — includes tips on how to bid at auctions in person or online
- All about antique glass, ceramics and silver
- Integrating antiques into your life at home and at the office
Antiquing For Dummies gets you up and running with what you need to know to find, research, and negotiate prices like a pro.
Wiley; April 2011
- ISBN: 9781118069110
- Edition: 1
- Read online, or download in secure EPUB format
- Title: Antiquing For Dummies
- Author: Ron Zoglin; Deborah Shouse
Imprint: For Dummies
About The Author
Ron Zoglin has been in the antique business for more than 25 years and owns Brookside Antiques in Kansas City, MO. He specializes in various types of Continental, American, and Oriental porcelain, glass, furniture, and accessories. He is an accredited senior member of the American Society of Appraisers, a certified member of the Appraisers Association of America, an accredited member of the International Society of Appraisers, and a member of the National Association of Dealers in Antiques.
Deborah Shouse is the coauthor of Working Woman's Communications Survival Guide and a contributor to a number of anthologies, including the American Book Award winner I am Becoming the Woman I've Wanted. Her articles and essays have appeared in Redbook, Family Circle, Woman's Day, Reader's Digest, Family Life, and Ms.