Math coaches wear many hats. You think on your feet and have to invent, react, and respond—often without time to prepare—in a myriad of professional contexts. What’s your go-to resource for support?
Plan, focus, and lead: Your toolkit for inspiring math teachers
Meet Everything You Need For Mathematics Coaching: Tools, Plans, and a Process That Works for Any Instructional Leader. This one-stop, comprehensive toolkit for improving mathematics instruction and learning is designed for busy math coaches and teacher leaders who often have to rely on their own competencies. Using the Leading for Mathematical Proficiency Framework, the authors position student outcomes as the focus of all professional work and connect the Eight Mathematical Practices for students with NCTM’s Eight Effective Teaching Practices to help you guide teachers toward growing mathematics proficiency in their classrooms.
This hands-on resource details critical coaching and teaching actions, and offers nearly a hundred tools for:
- Shifting classroom practice in a way that leads to student math proficiency and understanding of mathematical concepts.
- Honing in on key areas, including content knowledge and worthwhile tasks, student engagement, questioning and discourse, analysis of student work, formative assessment, support for emergent language learners and students with special needs, and more.
- Navigating a coaching conversation.
- Planning and facilitating professional learning communities.
- Finding a focus for professional development or a learning cycle.
- Making connections between professional learning activities, teaching, and student learning.
- Using the coaching cycle—plan, gather data, reflect—to build trust and rapport with teachers.
With examples from the field, a comprehensive list of resources for effective coaching, and a plethora of tools you can download and share with teachers, this toolkit is your must-have guide to designing a professional learning plan and leading with clarity and purpose.