"This excellent book fills a significant gap in the literature supporting planning education by providing clear, succinct advice on the design and implementation of small-scale student research projects."
- Chris Couch, Professor of Geography and Planning, University of Liverpool
"A perfect text for supervisors to give students so that they plan their research projects carefully rather than leap headlong into data collection."
- Jean Hillier, Emeritus Professor of Sustainability and Urban Planning, RMIT University, Melbourne
"Highly recommended... Ranging across topics such as planning a research programme and data management and the handling of ethical issues, the book will be very helpful to those embarking on a thesis or dissertation in the field."
- Peter Fidler, President of the University of Sunderland
Research Design in Urban Planning: A Student’s Guide is a brilliantly accessible guide to designing research for that all-important dissertation. Aimed at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, this text will:
· discuss research design, outlining the stages of the research process in clear detail and the key decisions which need to be taken at each stage
· explain to students how to re-interpret policy issues as researchable questions, appropriate for investigation
· look in detail at how researchers make their choice of methods, helping students to justify their own decisions
· reveal the ethical dimension to such decisions in the context of a growing requirement for the ethical approval of student projects
· review the issues for comparative studies – important not least because of student involvement in Erasmus programs and AESOP workshops
Packed with case studies, exercises, illustrations and summaries, Research Design in Urban Planning is an invaluable resource for students undertaking their first substantial, individual investigations.
You can read this ebook online in a web browser, without downloading anything or installing software.
This ebook is available in file types:
This ebook is available in:
After you've bought this ebook, you can choose to download either the PDF version or the ePub, or both.
The publisher has supplied this book in DRM Free form with digital watermarking.
You can read this eBook on any device that supports DRM-free EPUB or DRM-free PDF format.
The publisher has supplied this book in encrypted form, which means that you need to install free software in order to unlock and read it.
To read this ebook on a mobile device (phone or tablet) you'll need to install one of these free apps:
To download and read this eBook on a PC or Mac:
The publisher has set limits on how much of this ebook you may print or copy.