This title will be released on .
This eBook is no longer available for sale.
This eBook is not available in your country.
Protect yourself and your family from the threat of emerging diseases with a detailed, gripping exploration of the dangerous microbes we’re up against, from a respected immunologist and veteran science author—with a new Epilogue by the authors
“[Levy and Fischetti] excel at describing the sleuthing and science that helped to break the code on emerging infections.”—Los Angeles Times
All around us—in our homes, workplaces, and public spaces—bacteria and viruses are evolving at a feverish rate, and our best defenses against them are in danger of being overwhelmed. The threat posed by an emerging outbreak is as formidable as any challenge the human race has ever faced, and the evolutionary scales may be tipping in favor of the microbes.
From mad cow disease and Asian bird flu to SARS, West Nile virus, and Ebola, more than thirty new diseases have arisen since the 1970s; and old scourges, from plague to tuberculosis, have reemerged in more dangerous forms. But how imminent, really, is the danger?
Through riveting patient information and a behind-the-scenes tour of the health care system, Levy and Fischetti reveal:
• How we’ve managed to contain certain epidemics, while allowing others to rage out of control
• Why the demand for vaccines too often exceeds the supply, and why it took the FDA thirty-four years to approve the first new class of antibiotics since 1965.
• How new infectious diseases manifest themselves, symptoms to watch for, and how to get a correct diagnosis in time
• The latest scientific developments, from new genetic techniques to promising drug programs that might allow us to beat back the microbe menace.
The New Killer Diseases will leave you fully informed about the true extent of the threat we face and what you can do to help minimize risk of a pandemic.
Download file formats
This ebook is available in file types:
This ebook is available in:
After you've bought this ebook, you can choose to download either the PDF version or the ePub, or both.
The publisher has supplied this book in DRM Free form with digital watermarking.
You can read this eBook on any device that supports DRM-free EPUB or DRM-free PDF format.
Digital Rights Management (DRM)
The publisher has supplied this book in encrypted form, which means that you need to install free software in order to unlock and read it.
To read this ebook on a mobile device (phone or tablet) you'll need to install one of these free apps:
To download and read this eBook on a PC or Mac:
- Adobe Digital Editions (This is a free app specially developed for eBooks. It's not the same as Adobe Reader, which you probably already have on your computer.)