More than any other field in education, the social and cultural foundations of education reflect many of the conflicts, tensions, and forces in American society. This is hardly surprising, since the area focuses on issues such as race, gender, socioeconomic class, the impact of technology on learning, what it means to be educated, and the role of teaching and learning in a societal context.
The Encyclopedia of the Social and Cultural Foundations of Education provides a comprehensive introduction to the social and cultural foundations of education. With more than 400 entries, the three volumes of this indispensable resource offer a thorough and interdisciplinary view of the field for all those interested in issues involving schools and society.
· Provides an interdisciplinary perspective from areas such as comparative education, educational anthropology, educational sociology, the history of education, and the philosophy of education
· Presents essays on major movements in the field, including the Free School and Visual Instruction movements
· Includes more than 130 biographical entries on important men and women in education
· Offers interpretations of legal material including Brown v. Board of Education(1954) and the GI Bill of Rights
· Explores theoretical debates fundamental to the field such as religion in the public school curriculum, rights of students and teachers, surveillance in schools, tracking and detracking, and many more
· Contains a visual history of American education with nearly 350 images and an accompanying narrative
· Arts, Media, and Technology
· Economic Issues
· Equality and Social Stratification
· Evaluation, Testing, and Research Methods
· History of Education
· Law and Public Policy
· Multiculturalism and Special Populations
· Organizations, Schools, and Institutions
· Religion and Social Values
· School Governance
· Sexuality and Gender
· Theories, Models, and Philosophical Perspectives
· A Visual History of American Education
You can read this ebook online in a web browser, without downloading anything or installing software.
This ebook is available in file types:
This ebook is available in:
After you've bought this ebook, you can choose to download either the PDF version or the ePub, or both.
The publisher has supplied this book in DRM Free form with digital watermarking.
You can read this eBook on any device that supports DRM-free EPUB or DRM-free PDF format.
The publisher has supplied this book in encrypted form, which means that you need to install free software in order to unlock and read it.
To read this ebook on a mobile device (phone or tablet) you'll need to install one of these free apps:
To download and read this eBook on a PC or Mac:
The publisher has set limits on how much of this ebook you may print or copy. See details.