With an ever-growing variety of sports and exercise opportunities open to people of all ages, classes, and races, participation in casual sports has blossomed in recent decades, while interest in collegiate and professional sports has continued to soar. The field of sports medicine is thriving in response to the demand for health care professionals to care for people involved in vigorous exercise. Now more than ever, it is imperative that doctors, physical therapists, surgeons, nurses, and alternative medicine practitioners understand and are able to treat effectively the types of conditions stemming from all types of physical activity, ranging from pleasure walking to professional football.
Presenting state-of-the-art research and evidence-based applications, this four-volume resource provides the most comprehensive and accessible information available on sports medicine. The Encyclopedia of Sports Medicine describes all aspects of the field with perspectives, concepts, and methods from the medical, behavioral, and social sciences and physical education.
· Includes contributions from preeminent healthcare professionals who are renowned experts
· Presents a broad spectrum of entries covering a variety of key topics, a glossary, and two appendices
· Contains more than 550 tables and images, including anatomical drawings, X-rays, and MRI scans
· Illustrates selected diagnostic and treatment techniques step-by-step with more than 200 photographs
· Offers an in-depth examination of the various career opportunities in this area, including orthopedists, athletic trainers, sports psychologists, and nutritionists
· Conditioning and Training
· Diagnosis and Treatment of Sports Injuries
· Diet and Nutrition
· Doping and Performance Enhancement
· Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, Kinesiology
· Injuries and Disorders
· Injury Prevention
· Medical Conditions Affecting Sports Participation
· Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy
· Special Populations
· Specialties and Occupations in Sports Medicine
· Sports and Society
· Sports and Sports Medicine
· Sports Psychology
· Sports-Specific Injuries
· Women and Sports
You can read this ebook online in a web browser, without downloading anything or installing software.
This ebook is available in file types:
This ebook is available in:
After you've bought this ebook, you can choose to download either the PDF version or the ePub, or both.
The publisher has supplied this book in DRM Free form with digital watermarking.
You can read this eBook on any device that supports DRM-free EPUB or DRM-free PDF format.
The publisher has supplied this book in encrypted form, which means that you need to install free software in order to unlock and read it.
To read this ebook on a mobile device (phone or tablet) you'll need to install one of these free apps:
To download and read this eBook on a PC or Mac:
The publisher has set limits on how much of this ebook you may print or copy.