What kind of teacher are YOU?
Teacher behaviors and personalities can have an effect on student achievement. Based on Daniel Goleman’s five components of emotional intelligence, this guide shows how self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, social awareness, and relationship management can help teachers increase their effectiveness in the classroom. The authors provide research, case studies, and essential exercises that help teachers:
- Understand how their conscious and unconscious behaviors affect the learning environment
- Refine their verbal and nonverbal communication skills
- Manage their feelings and frustrations
- Interpret student behaviors, developing insight into how students perceive teachers
- Hone their presentation skills
SAGE Publications; February 2010
- ISBN: 9781452230757
- Edition: 1
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure ePub format
- Title: Becoming an Emotionally Intelligent Teacher
- Author: William R. Powell; Ochan Kusuma-Powell
In The Press
"I found myself saying 'Amen!' continuously as point after point was right on target with my experience and perspective. The authors present and thoroughly discuss such vital teacher attributes as empathy, humor, relationships, reflection, self-discovery, self-awareness, and motivation. This book would be an excellent focus for a faculty on professional development days."