From leading researcher and bestselling author, John McLeod, this substantially rewritten and restructured third edition is the most accessible and comprehensive 'how to' guide on conducting a successful research project in counselling and psychotherapy. Taking you step-by-step through the research process, this new edition includes:
- A list of 9 basic principles for doing meaningful and practically useful research
- Chapters on basic research skills: developing a research question, critically evaluating research studies, compiling a research proposal, using qualitative and quantitative methods, and fulfilling the requirements of ethics committees
- Chapters on 5 main types of research product that can be accomplished by novice researchers: qualitative interview studies, systematic case studies, practice-based outcome research, autoethnographic inquiry, and publishable literature reviews
- Guidance on how to get your work published.
Supported by a companion website (https://study.sagepub.com/mcleod) offering relevant journal articles, sample ethical consent forms, links to open access research tools and more, this is an indispensable resource for any counselling trainee or practitioner learning about the research process for the first time.
John McLeod is Emeritus Professor of Counselling at the University of Abertay Dundee.
SAGE Publications; December 2014
- ISBN: 9781473911468
- Edition: 3
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure ePub format
- Title: Doing Research in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Author: John McLeod
Imprint: SAGE Publications Ltd
In The Press
This easy to navigate, comprehensive and crucial resource is a masterpiece – compelling for novice and experienced researchers alike. McLeod skilfully guides you through the process of planning, designing and developing your research study, through to dissemination of your knowledge findings. The insights offered inspire confidence even in the most apprehensive researcher. This is a classic, oozing with practical advice, underpinned by 9 key guiding principles. Updated and rewritten to include an invaluable companion website – a must for every student and lecturer.