Written by a former federal prosecutor and public defender, Criminal Law and Procedure: A Courtroom Approachintroduces students to the essentials of criminal law and procedure by illuminating the legal issues justice professionals face before, during, and after a criminal trial. Through the examination of statutes, edited case excerpts, and recent constitutional interpretation of black letter law, the text bridges the gap between learning criminal procedure and applying criminal law.
Drawing from author Stephanie A. Jirard’s vast experience in both the courtroom and the classroom, Criminal Law and Procedure gets students to think critically about real-world issues and practice applying the law in a just and meaningful way. Accessible and engaging, this text presents criminal law and procedure as an exciting opportunity to have a direct, positive impact on our communities and the criminal justice system.
- "Making the Courtroom Connection" boxes help students apply the legal concepts they learn to real-life issues facing law enforcement, the court system, and correctional institutions today.
- Edited case excerpts connect criminal law and procedure with current case material on relevant topics so students can see the impact of judicial decision making.
- "Applying the Law to the Facts" boxes engage students’ critical thinking skills and enhance their logical problem-solving abilities by providing opportunities to apply the rule of law to different scenarios.
- "Springboard for Discussion" prompts spark conversations and invite students to contrast the moral, ethical, and legal implications of criminal law and procedure in a larger context.
- Problem-solving exercises at the end of each chapter provide students with opportunities to test themselves on the material before a formal assessment.
- Active Learning Exercises in the Instructor’s Manual enable professors to offer additional opportunities for experiential learning.
Give your students the SAGE edge!
SAGE edge offers a robust online environment featuring an impressive array of free tools and resources for review, study, and further exploration, keeping both instructors and students on the cutting edge of teaching and learning. Learn more at edge.sagepub.com/jirard.