In this original text, Simon Western deconstructs and reconstructs leadership to challenge the popular notion of the individual or hero leader, instead using his own framework to present leadership as a distributed process.
New to the third edition:
- A new chapter on leadership symptoms that offers a novel approach to researching and conceptualizing leadership.
- An expanded chapter on “Leadership and Diversity” with Pooja Sachdev.
- Updated material on “The Eco-Leadership Discourse”, with the chapter now differentiating between ethical eco-leadership and commercial eco-leaders (e.g Facebook, Google, Amazon).
- Analysis of contemporary leadership trends, including leadership in the gig economy, algorithmic management, and the rise in messiah and authoritarian leadership in populist parties.
- Updated case studies with references to current politicians and organizations.
SAGE Publications; March 2019
- ISBN: 9781526478542
- Edition: 3
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure ePub format
- Title: Leadership
- Author: Simon Western
Imprint: SAGE Publications Ltd
In The Press
"Everyone has opinions about leadership, but few people have thought about it as deeply as Simon Western. In this important text, he shows us why we should be suspicious of easy answers and noisy leaders. This is a beautifully written and thought provoking book for anyone who wants to move beyond glib recipes and really think hard about our collective futures."