Published since 1928, the Political Handbook of the World provides timely, thorough, and accurate political information with
more in-depth coverage of current political controversies and political parties than any other reference guide. The updated 2016–2017 Edition continues this legacy as the most authoritative source for finding complete facts and analysis on each country’s governmental and political makeup. Political science and international relations scholars have revised this edition, and made understanding complex foreign affairs andpolitical situations easy and accessible.
With more than 200 entries on countries and territories throughout the world, housed in one place, these volumes are renowned for their extensive coverage of all major and minor political parties and groups in each political system. They also provide names of key ambassadors and international memberships of each country, plus detailed profiles of more than 30 intergovernmental organizations and United Nations agencies.
This comprehensive update will include coverage of current events, issues, crises, and controversies from the course of the last two years, including:
- The closely-watched U.S. presidential election
- The effect of the Brexit referendum and installment of a new British prime minister
- The extensive investigation and subsequent impeachment of Brazil’s president
- The far-reaching impact of the “Panama Papers” scandal
- Changes in U.S.–Cuba diplomatic relations and the reopening of their embassies
- The unconstitutional declaration of Gambia as an Islamic State
- Sentiments about the migrant and refugee crisis across Europe and the influence on policy
Also, the new “For Further Reference” feature included for every country entry directs readers to additional resources to continue their research.