The Second Edition
of this bestselling book provides a structured multi-sensory programme for teaching literacy to children and young people from 5-18 with dyslexia and other specific literacy difficulties.
Supported by a wealth of resources available online and updated throughout, the new edition now includes a brand new section
on Implementing the Accelerated Programme
for learners who have already acquired some literacy skills. This includes:
- A placement test to indicate whether the programme is appropriate
- A diagnostic assessment procedure to determine where the learner should begin on the Accelerated Programme
- Examples of lesson plans, reading cards and spelling cards to help teachers prepare resources for their students
With tried and tested strategies and activities this book continues to provide everything you need to help improve and develop the literacy skills of learners in your setting including;
- the rationale for a structured multi-sensory approach
- the development of phonological, reading, writing and spelling skills
- working with learners who have English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- lesson structure and lesson-planning
- alphabet and dictionary skills
- memory work and study skills
- teaching the programme to groups
- ideas for working with young children.
Don't forget about the companion text, Assessment of Learners with Dyslexic-Type Difficulties
SAGE Publications; March 2016
- ISBN: 9781473967946
- Edition: 2
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure ePub format
- Title: Teaching Literacy to Learners with Dyslexia
- Author: Sylvia Phillips; Kathleen Kelly
Imprint: SAGE Publications Ltd
In The Press
‘Teaching Literacy to Learners with Dyslexia should be available in every classroom in the country!
This new updated edition is grounded in solid research combining best practice in literacy learning with practical skills essential for competent literacy acquisition.
Kelly and Phillips have utilised their vast knowledge and unquestionable experience to provide the reader with a “ready guide” for practice. This is an essential book for all teachers and those undergoing teacher training. ‘