See Philadelphia Like a Local with Moon Travel Guides!
As America's first UNESCO World Heritage City, Philadelphia's well-preserved homes and historic churches mingle with modern skyscrapers, restaurants, and galleries. Explore the timeless City of Brotherly Love with Moon Philadelphia!
With Moon Philadelphia's practical tips, myriad activities, and an insider's view on the best things to do and see, you can plan your trip your way.
- Explore the City: Navigate by neighborhood or by activity with color-coded maps
- See the Sights: Visit the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall to soak up some American history, or jog up the famed Philadelphia Museum of Art steps just like Rocky. Relax in Rittenhouse Square, stroll along the Schuykill River Trail, or catch a concert on the Avenue of the Arts. Tour Edgar Allen Poe's home, hike through peaceful Wissahickon Park, or visit the beautiful Philadelphia Zoo
- Get a Taste of the City: Centuries-old mom-and-pop eateries share the streets with stylish bistros and Iron-Chef-run restaurants. But don't worry: we've found the top five places for you to grab an authentic Philly Cheesesteak
- Bars and Nightlife: Beer gardens and upscale martini bars; pubs with fierce karaoke and trivia competitions; and churches converted into music venues and dance clubs: Philly's nightlife has it all
- Trusted Advice: Philly native Karrie Gavin shares the ins and outs of her beloved hometown
- Itineraries and Day Trips: All accessible by bus, train, or public transit, including "Fun and Free Philly," "Top 10 for Kids," and the three-day best of Philadelphia, as well as day trips to Pennsylvania Dutch Country, the Brandywine Valley, or Bucks County
- Maps and Tools: Full-color photos and an easy-to-read foldout map to use on the go
- Tips for All Travelers: Including advice for LGBTQ visitors, travelers with disabilities, seniors, and families traveling with children or pets
Exploring more of the state? Try Moon Pittsburgh
or Moon Pennsylvania.
Avalon Publishing; June 2017
- ISBN: 9781631214134
- Edition: 4
- Read online, or download in secure ePub format
- Title: Moon Philadelphia
Series: Travel Guide
- Author: Karrie Gavin
Imprint: Moon Travel
About The Author
Karrie Gavin comes from a long line of Philadelphians that began with her great-grandparents, who immigrated from County Mayo, Ireland, over a century ago. Born and raised in Germantown and Mt. Airy, Karrie now lives in Center City.
Karrie attended Central High School of Philadelphia and went on to earn a bachelor's degree in English at Penn State University and a master's degree in journalism at Temple University. Her interest in writing about Philadelphia was sparked during her time as editor of Campus Philly, a local nonprofit where she was responsible for creating online and print guides and a magazine about Philadelphia for local college students.
Karrie is the former Philadelphia/South Jersey Guide for the website About.com, and her writing has appeared in numerous regional and national magazines, including Philadelphia magazine, Philadelphia Wedding, Philadelphia Home, AAA World, and US Airways magazine, and in the anthology PS: What I Didn't Say, published by Seal Press. Her deep Philly roots and knowledge also serve her (and her clients) well in her work as a real estate agent at Elfant Wissahickon Realtors.
In her spare time, Karrie assists adults with special needs on vacations and local outings through Special Vacations, an organization founded by her mother. She also enjoys hanging out with her husband, her two sons, their dog, and her large network of family and friends. Luckily for her, they are almost all in Philly! While Philadelphians may leave for a while, they almost always come back.