The first edition of this contemporary classic can claim to have put 'consumer culture' on the map, certainly in relation to postmodernism. This expanded new edition includes:
- a fully revised preface that explores the developments in consumer culture since the first edition
- a major new chapter on 'Modernity and the Cultural Question'
- an update on postmodernism and the development of contemporary theory after postmodernism
- an account of multiple and alternative modernities
- the challenges of consumer culture in Japan and China.
The result is a book that shakes the boundaries of debate, from one of the foremost writers on culture and postmodernism of the present day.