Discover the Carolinas with Moon Travel Guides!
Refreshing sea breeze, aquatic adventures, and over 500 miles of scenic coastline: get to know this unique stretch of America with Moon Coastal Carolinas. Inside you'll find:
With Moon Coastal Carolinas' practical tips, myriad activities, and local know-how, you can plan your trip your way.
- Strategic itineraries for every timeline and budget, from five days on the coast of North or South Carolina to a longer trip combining both, with advice for history buffs, honeymooners, beach bums, families, outdoor adventurers, and more
- The best beaches for your trip, whether you're looking for scenery, water sports, local character, or solitude
- Unique activities and can't-miss sights: Tour historic lighthouses, wander the charming streets of Charleston, or see the site of humankind's first flight at Kittyhawk. Explore hundreds of windswept waterways by kayak, try hang-gliding, ride a dune buggy, or go bird-watching and enjoy nature's stillness. Sample the catch of the day (fried, grilled, or boiled!), classic shrimp and grits, and juicy southern barbecue. Tee off at a world-class golf resort, or relax on the beach and breathe in the salty sea air from the comfort of your towel
- Firsthand perspective from local author and born-and-bred southerner Jim Morekis
- Honest advice on when to go, where to stay, and how to spend your time
- Full-color photos and detailed maps for exploring on your own
- In-depth coverage of The Outer Banks, North Carolina Central Coast, Charleston, Myrtle Beach and the Grand Strand, Wilmington and Cape Fear, South Carolina Low Country
- Detailed background information on the landscape, culture, history, and environment
Exploring more of the South? Try Moon Georgia.
Making a road trip out of it? Check out Moon Blue Ridge Parkway Road Trip.
Avalon Publishing; February 2018
- ISBN: 9781640492448
- Edition: 4
- Read online, or download in secure ePub format
- Title: Moon Coastal Carolinas
Series: Moon Handbooks
- Author: Jim Morekis
Imprint: Moon Travel
About The Author
Jim Morekis grew up just a stone's throw from South Carolina-in Savannah, Georgia-and he's used to Charlestonians regarding his hometown as a wayward little sibling. As a young boy who loved history, Jim was fascinated with the home of the Swamp Fox and its key role in the Revolution and the Civil War. As he got older, he discovered a more important truth about the Palmetto State: Few places in America provide such a wealth of experience in such a small package.
Jim's favorite pastimes in the Carolinas include relaxing on Edisto Island, climbing lighthouses on the Outer Banks, eating shrimp and grits in Charleston, playing miniature golf at Myrtle Beach, enjoying a cold brew in Columbia's Five Points, camping along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and walking through old cemeteries. He is also learning to appreciate stock car racing just a little bit. In Jim's other life, the University of Georgia graduate is editor in chief of a weekly newspaper in Savannah, GA.