For middle- and high-school teachers, it’s one of today’s most vexing problems: How do you motivate students with varied interests and little appetite for classic literature to stop faking their way through texts and start advancing as skilled, engaged readers?
Independent reading is an important part of the answer, but it’s just that — a part of the whole. In this groundbreaking book, Berit Gordon offers the complete solution, a blended model that combines the benefits of classic literature with the motivational power of choice reading.
With the blended model, teachers lead close examinations of key passages from classic texts, guiding students to an understanding of important reading strategies they can transfer to their choice books. Teachers gain a platform for demonstrating the critical reading skills students so urgently require, and students thrive on reading what they want to read.
In this research-backed book, Gordon leads you step by step to classroom success with the blended model, showing:
- The basics of getting your classroom library up and running
- How to build a blended curriculum for both fiction and non-fiction units, keeping relevant standards in mind
- Tips and resources to help with day-to-day planning
- Ideas for selecting class novel passages that provide essential cultural capital and bolster students’ reading skills
- Strategies for bringing talk into your blended reading classroom
- How to reach the crucial learning goal of transfer
- A practical, user-friendly approach for assessing each student’s progress
No More Fake Reading gives you all the tools you need to put the blended model to work for your students and transform your classroom into a vibrant reading environment.
Berit Gordon coaches teachers as they nurture lifelong readers and writers. Her path as an educator began in the classroom in the Dominican Republic before teaching in New York City public schools. She also taught at the Teachers College of Columbia University in English Education. She currently works as a literacy consultant in grades 3-12 and lives in Maplewood, New Jersey with her husband and three children.
SAGE Publications; July 2017
- ISBN: 9781506365527
- Edition: 1
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure ePub format
- Title: No More Fake Reading
Series: Corwin Literacy
- Author: Berit Gordon
In The Press
"Berit Gordon is the best word whisperer, lighting a love for words in even the most reluctant of readers and writers. Her techniques created an atmosphere of electricity in a classroom that had lost its spark for communication. Many books that I've read only speak to the strategy and provide anchor charts. Berit goes further and explains the what, why, how, and when of the strategy in use. This is key. Berit is key. For many of us, we know what we want our students to do. We just need a little direction to get there. Berit provides the map, serves as GPS, and leads us to the place where our classrooms are now abuzz with engaged readers and inspired writers."