This new edition of An Introduction to Middle East Politics continues to provide an expansive survey of Middle East politics, thoroughly revised and restructured in response to events currently taking place. Written in a lively and accessible manner, MacQueen takes students on a tour of the region’s modern political history up to the present, clearly signposting key events and issues.
Providing comprehensive coverage of all key themes in Middle East politics, this book covers:
Each chapter includes a timeline, learning objectives, study questions and annotated further reading and the book finishes with a glossary. Contemporary and fascinating, with dedicated material on culture, gender, ethnicity and minorities, this book is a crucial companion for students of Middle East politics.
- Historical Legacies; The Ottoman Empire, WWI, colonialism and the Cold War; nationalism and Islamist politics
- Authoritarianism in Egypt, Algeria and Syria; political changes in Iran; the politics of oil in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States; Israel, the Palestinians and the Arab States
- The Syrian conflict including regional ramifications and particular focus on the Syrian refugee crisis
SAGE Publications; December 2017
- ISBN: 9781526418241
- Edition: 2
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure ePub format
- Title: An Introduction to Middle East Politics
- Author: Benjamin MacQueen
Imprint: SAGE Publications Ltd
In The Press
An Introduction to Middle East Politics is a fountain of carefully selected information and accessible analysis. The politics of the Middle East could be very confusing, even for veteran observers. But Benjamin MacQueen has managed to present a seamless account of the most pressing challenging in the region with just the right dose of historical and cultural background. The discussion of the politics of oil, challenges to democratisation, and the US policy in the region in the aftermath of the Arab Spring is superb. This book is a tour de force and an essential item for any collection on the Middle East.